Exploratory classes provide students with an opportunity to gain experiences in creative and real-world applications while also focusing on Learner Qualities and enhancing student learning with core academic areas.
Jack London Middle School’s Physical Fitness program provides an enjoyable as well as a challenging learning environment. The Fitness staff works together to improve each student’s fitness level throughout the year. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities both as an individual and as a team member. Students will not only be learning the “how” of activities but also, the “why” behind them.
Teachers: Chad Daniels, Brett Gerken, Janelle Krennrich, Karen Taaffe
Policies and Procedures
Uniforms: Students are expected to wear the following in Physical Fitness class:
- Official London physical fitness uniform (shirt and shorts available in the school store for $7.00 each)
- White gym socks
- Shoes with laces tied. (Students are encouraged to wear athletic footwear with appropriate support rather than “fashion” footwear.)
- Loose fitting sweat clothes (for wearing outside in fall and early spring) -Students need deodorant to keep in their gym locker (stick, no sprays)
- Lotions are prohibited in the locker room
- All clothing has to be marked with a permanent marker. Include your first and last name on all items. Please write this on the lightning bolt, and inside the collar/waistband. Nothing else is to be written on the gym uniforms. Students will be reminded to take their uniforms home at the end of each week to have them laundered.
- In the event that students forget their uniforms, there will be loaner uniforms available in the Physical Fitness offices. All uniforms are to be returned at the end of the period. If students forget their uniform more than three times in a trimester, an appropriate consequence will be given, as well as a lowered Self-Directed Learner grade.
Locker Rooms: Each student will be assigned a small locker where they may store their clothing, shoes and personal items needed for class.
- A large locker will be available during class for securing street clothes, books, and other valuables.
- A combination lock must be purchased at the school store. (for security reasons, no personal locks can be used) All personal items should be locked in lockers at all times.
- Students should not share their locker combinations with anyone else.
- Locker Room Procedure Video
Procedures for entering and exiting class:
As soon as the students enter the gym, they should immediately go into the locker room. Students will be given five minutes from the beginning of the period to change from their street clothes into their gym uniform. A daily warm-up routine will be performed before activities begin. If students are tardy more than 3X in a trimester, an appropriate consequence will be given, as well as a lowered Self-Directed Learner grade.
Illness and Medical:
All students will be expected to dress and participate in class each day. If a student is in attendance but is not well enough to participate in physical activity, they must have a note from their parent requesting permission to sit out during class activities. A note from home may cover two days of non-participation. After that time a doctor’s note will be required in order for the student to be excused from an activity.
Class Activities-Weekly activities will be set as follows:
Cardiovascular Day (CV Day) – devoted to cardiovascular fitness (Aerobic endurance). Students will be challenged to complete a 15 min to 20-minute jog.
S.A.F.E. Day (Strength Agility Flexibility and Endurance) devoted to improving all four areas listed.
CV Challenge Day -devoted to cardiovascular activities which could consist of games, circuits, runs etc.
Activity Day (Friday) devoted to group activities where all the classes combine to play a large group game or activity.
Each student will rotate through all four areas each week. Emphasis will be placed on maximizing participation for each student. Improvement in fitness level will be of major importance throughout the year.